qBittorrent is a free BitTorrent P2P client coded in C++ / Qt4, developed by a Ph.D student (Christophe Dumez) from the University of technology of Belfort-Montbeliard in France. It is based on Libtorrent (Arvid Norbergs) and the Qt toolkit. It was started in March 2006 and has been in active development ever since.
qBittorrent is Free Software that aims to have a small foot-print, to be powerful, intuitive and visually attractive. qBittorrent is offering functionality comparable to larger Bittorrent clients such as Vuze or BitComet.
qBittorrent is an attempt to provide a µtorrent equivalent that is open-source and multi-platform. As such, it provides comparable footprint, features and user interface.
The main features present in qBittorrent are a Web User interface using Ajax, Automatic filter-based torrent download from RSS feeds, UPnP / NAT-PMP port mapping, DHT, µtorrent Peer exchange, Vuze-compatible protocol encryption, Proxy server, eMule or Peerguardian compatible IP filtering, torrent queuing and prioritizing. One of the strength of qBittorrent which distinguishes it from its competitors is its well-integrated search engine which provides an interface similar to the one in eMule, but actually searches on the most popular search Web sites in background.
qBittorrent increased its popularity dramatically in November 2009, when a popular BitTorrent indexing site switched to magnet URIs, as qBittorrent was the only bittorrent client in the Ubuntu repositories with working magnet link support.
qBittorrent is available in more about 25 languages (Localization page) thanks to volunteer work of its users throughout the World.
Mac OS port
As of August 10 2009, qBittorrent is officially available on Mac OS operating system. The DMG (Apple Disk Image) packages are provided by Stefanos Antaris who joined the project for a university assignment. Although this port of qBittorrent was released recently for this operating system, its developers are hoping users will become interested for this new client.
qBittorrent is a Bittorrent client using C++ / libtorrent and a Qt4 Graphical User Interface. It aims to be a good alternative to other bittorrent clients. It has more and more features such as an integrated search engine, UPnP, encryption, PeX, a torrent creation tool…
Visit the official Wiki for documentation.
If you like this application and wish the developers to maintain it as long as possible, please consider donating !
Features and Screenshots
The qBittorrent project was started in March 2006 to create a lightweight but featureful BitTorrent client that would be multi-platform and very easy to use.
qBittorrent v2 is the closest open source (GNU GPL v2 license) equivalent to µtorrent. qBittorrent is based on Qt4 toolkit and libtorrent-rasterbar.
qBittorrent v2 Features
- Polished µTorrent-like User Interface
- Well-integrated and extensible Search Engine
- Simultaneous search in most famous BitTorrent search sites
- Per-category-specific search requests (e.g. Books, Music, Movies)
- All Bittorrent extensions
- DHT, Peer Exchange, Full encryption, Magnet URI, …
- Remote control through a Web user interface
- Nearly identical to the regular UI, all in Ajax
- Advanced control over trackers, peers and torrents
- Torrents queueing and prioritizing
- Torrent content selection and prioritizing
- UPnP / NAT-PMP port forwarding support
- Available in ~25 languages (Unicode support)
- µTorrent spoofing to bypass private trackers whitelisting
- Advanced RSS support with download filters (inc. regex)
- IP Filtering (eMule and PeerGuardian compatible)
- IPv6 compliant
Source : qbittorrent.sourceforge.net